Monday 21 July 2008

Bullseye for Martyn


Lamping session on Saturday night resulted in Martyn taking a young vixen from one of the Lovedean Road fields, it came in from my attempted calling on one of my fox callers (the first time it has worked - or maybe I managed to work it properly).
Saturday was a long day to start, took one of Rogers stalking first thing, so at the pub by 5am. Walked the top side of the farm without seeing a buck and then proceeded to Sausage Wood with no joy. Weather was against us with a strong wind and overcast conditions. Client, Thomas, was from Denmark and had cracking eyesight with tow doe's spotted in amongst the crops.
Back home by 9.30am and then back to the shoot by 10pm to meet Stephen and Martyn. The pressure was on to get a result before the recently cropped fields were ploughed again. The first field in and bingo the resident fox as out to play. After waiting for it to get in a safe shootable position I took a position leaning against the truck bonnet, it didn't feel comfortable but as it was a chance on this sly resident I took the shot and plainly missed.....was not impressed at all and spent the next half hour swearing at myself.
All was not lost though as Martyn redeemed the night and killed the young vixen, down to my calling, ha ha and Stephen's lamping.
Back out tonight again, a chance to amend for my miss.

No comments: